PLEASE DOWNLOAD THE TRIP BOOKLET HERE
On this hike we will walk the lesser trodden paths of the Sinai Trail, the Western Sinai desert.
The trail is NEW and the 150km we will hike are full of history from hundreds of years ago. We will visit the ruins of the Pharaonic temple of Serabit el Khadem, and it’s surrounding turquoise mines. Our path will take us in the footsteps of the ancient Nabateans where we will see their old rock inscriptions. We will also visit a fascinating old English ghost town in the desert. And we will learn about Bedouin traditions and culture as we will cross colorful rocky mountains and sweeping deserts in the territory of three different tribes: the Alegat, the Sawalha and the Hamada.
Be part of our FIRST adventure on this side of the trail!
—– PRACTICALITIES —–
SERABIT EL KHADEM CIRCUIT – 12 DAYS, 150km – 29.03 / 09.04.2019
The cost of the trip is 22.200EGP
For Egyptian citizen or non-Egyptian in Egypt with official residency/work permit the price is 12.600EGP
Specifically, the below is included in this trip:
1. Minibus from Cairo to Serabit El Khadem on Thursday 28th March, minibus from Serabit el Khadem to Cairo on Wednesday 10th April. The minibus will depart Cairo at 10am from Qasr al Baron on Thursday 28th March and it will depart from Serabit el Khadem on Wednesday 10th April in the morning after breakfast and will arrive at Qasr al Baron in the late afternoon.
2. 12 days of hiking including guides, camels, permission fees
3. 3 meals/ day, including breakfast, lunch and dinner and water
4. accommodation in twin rooms in Barakat Camp on Thursday 28th March and on Tuesday 9th of April plus an evening meal. Breakfast the following morning including tea.
Barakat camp is a basic Bedouin camp with simple rooms and communal bathrooms.
NOT included in the trips:
Please note that the price ONLY includes what is stated above: anything extra – e.g personal snacks, transport to Sinai from outside Cairo etc – are NOT included.
Please also note the Sinai Trail is not able to rent hikers equipment for the hike.
To secure your place a deposit of 5000EGP must be paid within 10 days after your place has been confirmed by the Sinai Trail Team. After that we will not be able to keep your place and it will be offered to other hikers. The rest of the payment will be done in Sinai before the beginning of the trip.
Please note in the event of a cancellation we cannot refund money unless you find a suitable substitute hiker to take your place at least two weeks before the hike begins. This hiker must be accepted by the Sinai Trail Team, whose decision will be final.
—– HOW TO JOIN —–
This is a wilderness trip. You will walk a long way from settlements. There will be no toilets or beds/ accommodation/ easy conveniences. You will walk and live the Bedouin way; sleeping in the sands, under big desert skies, eating food cooked on a fire. If you’re not used to it, this can be difficult; but there are many things to love about it too. You might even find that, after you leave Sinai for Cairo, you want to come back!
We’d love to be able to accept everybody who applies for the hike, but we have just 14 places. To be accepted, it’s important you are physically fit, active and healthy. You should have good stamina and endurance, and lots of mental resilience; there will be times when you need it.
Please note there will be a compulsory fitness assessment for every Egypt based hiker, which all must pass.
If you’d like to join, please email us at email@example.com, answering all the questions below:
2. Date of Birth
3. Nationality & place of residence
4. Phone number
5. Facebook profile
6. Hiking experience. Please tell us a bit about your existing hiking experience – e.g. have you hiked in the Sinai before? If so, where? Have you ever done a multi-day trek, and how long did it last? How often do you hike and when was the last time you hiked? Have you hiked in any other parts of the world? Do you have any experience in any other outdoor activity, like scrambling, rock climbing, mountain biking etc?
7. Fitness. Please tell us a bit about your current lifestyle and level of fitness: how physically fit would you say you are on a scale of 1-5 (5 = the best, a total pro). How regularly do you exercise – if at all? – and what are your favourite activities for keeping fit e.g. walking, jogging, workouts?
8. Do you have any injuries or medical issues that you feel would be relevant over a 15-day hike in the wilderness, far from help?
9. Finally, we’d love to know a bit about you as individuals and why you’d like to hike the Sinai Trail! Do you have a special goal? What appeals most about it? Is it the challenge, solitude or adventure; the chance of meeting new people in a special place, or do you just want to see more of Egypt?
Thanks & bye for now!
Sinai Trail Team